LIVE FOR OTHERS

LIVE FOR OTHERS

My Dad is going to be 70 later this year and as we celebrate him, the only thing obvious about him is that he lived his life for others.

As a child, I never understood why my father would wake up every morning and he went about finding out how people were faring because he cared.

When it was time to go to school, my Dad will offer a lift to every child on the street, till the car was over loaded with kids. I still didn’t get it.

He was always everywhere, helping the street association to get a bigger transformer from the power generating company, helping his own community to get electricity in 1995 and helping tenants and preventing them from been evicted by landlords.

To make things more interesting, anyone travelling abroad from our community used to come and stay in our house in Lagos before travelling.

One day, I couldn’t help but ask: Daddy, why do you help people who don’t even appreciate it, let alone remember you.

His answer stunned me. Someday, you will understand that a good name is better than Silver and Gold and that currently he is the most fulfilled man in life because he feels happy and fulfilled when he helps others.

I remember racing with him and my mum once to go and plead for a co-tenant who had been evicted and his things were been thrown out.

(Oh my God! I can’t help it, I am weeping again)
My Father was able to rally round, raise some money and appealed to the caretaker and land lord to cancel the eviction notice.

I remember the man saying to my father: that for this thing you have done, your children will never lack a roof over their head. He said that because you for live for others, they will live to remember you.

In 2002, I stumbled on a book written by Zig Ziglar and he said: “that you will get to where you are going to in life, if you will help others get there”

In that instant, I understood that a life lived for others is the best accomplishment in life.
Now I understand the major goal of Apple, Microsoft, Mcvities, Samsung, McDonalds, KFC, Dow Chemicals, IBM, Procter and Gamble, Oracle and other manufacturers: It is to live for others.

Today, I am a teacher (I teach people technology skills) that helps people achieve their life’s goals.

Today, I am an Entrepreneur that helps organizations manage their database and
I teach in a foundation raising the next generation of kids (8 to 15) to become successful IT professionals.

Do you want to be SUCCESSFUL? If yes, then live for others.
Are you a writer? Write books for others to read.

Are you a blogger? Write more blog posts for others.

Are you a teacher? Teach more students and help them to be more successful with their grades.

Are you a business owner? Serve more customers.

Are you a doctor? Save more lives.

Are you a pastor? Help others and win more souls!

Are you a politician? Serve more and live for others.


And as we close, remember that the greatest secret of life is: LIVE FOR OTHERS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Disrupt Yourself

SHARED ECONOMY

PLANNING IS EVERYTHING